Sunday, February 7, 2010

Get your craft on

In the past 12 months we have had more than 20 friends have babies. That is a little insane. Since we would have to take out a small loan to pay for gifts for all of our new baby friends, I have gotten in the habit of making baby gift from things I have on hand. It's much more cost-effective and the projects keep me busy out here in no man's land!

This weekend I made a girly dress for the newest baby. My friend Bekka had a beautiful baby girl last week. Since Madalynn has two older brothers, there aren't a lot of girly clothes in their hand-me-down stash, so I worked up this little number.


This is a onesie dress. The best part is that the skirt is attached to the onesie so that when you pick the baby up the dress doesn't ride up under her armpits!



The ensemble is completed with matching burp cloths. She has to coordinate, after all!



When we were in civilization last weekend I stopped by JoAnn's to get a couple pieces of fabric. As I waited in line, a remnent caught my eye. It was pre-shirred tunic fabric in a Little Mermaid print! For less than $3 I bought a scrap of the fabric, sewed a side seam and 2 straps, and ended up with a nice swimsuit cover up to go with Kennedy's Ariel swimsuit.




While I crafted Judah decided that he needed something manly to do, so he transformed himself into the naked cowboy!



Then, to warm up, he sported the Michigan beanie that his youngest, prettiest, smartest, most favorite aunt gave him! (*Sorry to all his other aunts out there...Dana staked claim to that title years ago!)

2 comments:

Dana said...

And Don't forget it Scott women.

megan {homemade ginger} said...

I love that little baby dress, kerry! what a great idea!