So, Ken and I have entered 90 days of self-induced pain. Where do I start? As many of you know, Ken and I have always enjoyed working out together. While we lived in Manhattan and Atchison our nightly routine included a trip to the gym. We even trained for and competed in multiple triathlons in 2008.
When we were preparing for our move to Phillipsburg one of the things that I was DREADING was leaving the YMCA. We had made so many friends there and had enjoyed the drop-in daycare that was right on-site. Our first week in Phillipsburg we tried out the hometown gym. By hometown gym, I mean that there is a building downtown with a few cardio machines, some free weights, and a few balance balls. Not too impressive, but it was worth trying out. We signed up for a month membership and I think we only went twice the entire time. It was just too hard for us because, although they had a side room gated off for kids, there wasn't a babysitter/supervisor in there. There was no way we could just leave a 3 year old and an infant unsupervised in a gym room while we worked out. We're not in the small-town mindset...we're from the big city. (*Yes, Atchison and it's 10,000 residents constitutes a big city. It does have a Wal-mart after all. The closest of those is an hour drive out here!)
Moving on...
So, after being stagnant for 4...count 'em...FOUR months we decided that we had to do something. This is the longest that either of us had been this inactive since our college days! And, even then Ken played football.
We had become out of shape (ahem, flabby!) and had zero energy (going to bed at 9pm when you're in your 20s is so not cool!). For Christmas I received a nice gift card to Amazon.com. I knew exactly what I wanted to buy with it, so I hopped online and clicked my way to being a proud, but scared, owner of Tony Horton's P90X.
For those of you who don't know what P90X is...count your lucky stars!! For months now I've been hearing stories about how hellish this workout is. I've read about 2 million online reviews saying "TURN BACK NOW!" But, that just made us want it worse! Basically, it's a 12 DVD program of cardio and weight training that lasts 90 days. Each workout is 60-90 minutes long and can be done with a few pieces of equipment right in your own living room.
I ordered the DVD set and had it shipped to my parents' house since we'd be there for a week over Christmas. My grand idea was to start the program while we were there so that we could get a head start on the New Year's Resolution-Makers.
Things didn't go as planned.
No excuses, really. We were just lazy. We didn't start the program until we came back to Phillipsburg.
The first day wasn't too bad. That's probably because 1/2 of the workout consisted of pull-ups, which I most certainly could not do, so I only had do suffer through 1/2 of the workout!
Day 2 is another story. I distinctly remember lying in bed that Wednesday night saying, "Don't even touch me" to Ken as he tried to give me a goodnight hug. Yeah, that's how bad I hurt! We had just done 60 minutes of PlyoX and I was sore from my eyelids to my toenails! The next day I rolled out of bed...quite literally!
We are now on the fourth week of this program and I must say, we loooove it...but we haaaate it! We are usually either drenched in sweat or lying crippled on the floor after every workout, but it is so worth it. I feel so much better and can already see toning results.
So, for those of you who might be wondering, "What exactly do you do with the kids while you workout?" Good question, we usually cage them up.

Not really! Kennedy joins us and tries to do her own moves. Judah is usually napping or watching from his exersaucer.
One of our favorite days is Friday b/c it's YogaX day. This 90 minute workout is nothing to laugh at. It's exhausting and usually has me saying something along the lines of "I'm stuck", or "Kennedy, if you touch me I might break something". But, we both enjoy it b/c we can see ourselves getting better each week.
Here are some pics of a few of the crazy yoga poses that we've come to love.




2 comments:
You absolutely crack me up. Love the comments you make to Kennedy in your yoga poses. I miss your face!
Hey it's the Arps! We love reading your posts! We are starting P90x this week! Looking forward to some of those yoga moves!! haha We are wondering how do you get out of them! Anyways, hopefully Ken has luck finding a job around the area! Hope you guys are doing well!
Erika,Brian and Beckett!
Post a Comment